Making an Outside Impact!

Hi CKs!

For this month’s blog post, I wanted to share with you what a member of Cardinal Key is doing to serve those around her and her community. I met Sara at the 2015 National Conference in Atlanta, GA. Sara attends Chadron State College in Nebraska. Working with the Health Professionals Club, Sara hosted a Bone Marrow Registry Drive. Although Sara’s involvement was not directly with Cardinal Key, I think she is a great example of how we can serve others through all of the organizations we are involved in and the people we come into contact with. I asked her to write about her experience for this post and am very thankful she was willing to share her experience (and photos!) with us.

“The bone marrow registry was a prospect first introduced to me when I attended the Cardinal Key National Conference in October. Tori shared her story about how she joined the registry and the amazing experience she had as a donor. I was instantly curious about this opportunity because I wasn’t very informed about bone marrow donation. Of the many people that need a bone marrow transplant, about 70% of them are able to match a family member for a donor. The other 30% must rely on a person that he or she has not met that is signed up through the registry.”

“When my advisor approached me with the opportunity to host a drive for the bone marrow registry through the Health Professions Club, I didn’t hesitate to get everything rolling. My club hosted a three hour drive in the Student Center on our campus. In those three hours, the Health Professions Club was able to add about 100 people to the bone marrow registry! Everyone from students to faculty was talking about the bone marrow drive and the great opportunity that this was giving our campus. I cannot thank Tori enough for introducing me to the need for bone marrow donors so that I could help people in my little town in Nebraska feel like they were part of something so life changing.”

WOW! I admire Sara so much. She used the Cardinal Key virtues and purpose while working with another organization to make a tremendous difference. Whether hosting blood drives or participating in JDRF walks, Sara strives to consistently make an impact in the lives of those around her. We are so proud of her for the work she has done and it is wonderful to see the impact a member of Cardinal Key in her community.


Image

Students learning about the drive and preparing to join the registry!


Image

Look at all of those completed donor forms! Wow!

Image

A student swabbing her cheek so her cells can be added to the Bone Marrow Registry

Image

Volunteers working hard to teach the potential registry members about Bone Marrow Donation.

-Tori Holt, Cardinal Key National President